Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Spicy Turkey Meatballs with Basil Marinara and Mozzarella

Your mouth should be watering already. These suckers are so awesome! My husband thinks every meatball recipe I make is the best thing ever, but this one is my personal fav. Its even better if you make your own marinara sauce, but tonight I'm using the remaining marinara jar from the Spicy Chicken Rigatoni I posted for you. Don't let the long list of ingredients intimidate you. I'm sure you have all these seasonings in your pantry, if not you need to buy them because they make meals delicious! 




Ingredients:

For the Meatballs:
1 lb lean ground turkey
1 egg
2 tablespoons breadcrumb
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

For the Sauce:
2 cups Marinara or tomato sauce
6-7 large fresh basil leaves
1 teaspoon oregano
1-2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
4-6 oz balled Mozzarella  


Preheat oven to 400
In a large bowl combine all the meatball ingredients and mix with your hands like you do with meatloaf.
Spoon and round meatballs, place on a cookie sheet. You should be able to make 16-20 meatballs.
Bake for 15 minutes

While meatballs are baking, begin the sauce.
In a large skillet, simmer marinara, oregano, red pepper flake, and lastly the basil. Sauce will thicken.You can taste it to see if you want to add anything extra. 

After the meatballs are done baking add them to the skillet and cover with sauce. 

Place mozzarella balls randomly in the tomato sauce. Let cook until gooey. Mmmm Mmmmm...

Serve over grain or pasta of your choice. My choice is quinoa once again :) 





Note: I make a lot of spicy foods. If you don't like spice you can leave out the red pepper flakes from all my recipes. They will still be tasty, don't worry. 
Also, another one of my favorite kitchen tools is a cookie scooper. It looks like an ice cream scooper but smaller. I use this tool for all my meatballs. It makes every meatball the same size and it super fast and easy.


1 comment:

  1. So fun, Deb! I'm looking forward to trying your Debbie-approved recipes!

    ReplyDelete