Thursday, April 4, 2013

Chipotle Lime Chicken Tacos

When I was a kid I grew up eating beef tacos made with a taco seasoning packet, diced tomatoes, lettuce, cheese and sour cream. Super Plain Jane right?? Right! Well, here is my healthy, zesty chicken taco recipe. I love it! The chicken part of the recipe can be used to make a southwest salad too if you wanted. 




Ingredients:

1 lb chicken breasts
1 can diced green chilies
2 cups reduced fat chicken broth
juice from 3 limes

1/2 diced red onion
1 green bell pepper
1 tablespoon cumin
1/2 tablespoon Chipotle chili powder
dash of salt & pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup pico de gallo

tortillas
sour cream 
cilantro



You want to use shredded chicken. 
Boil the chicken in chicken broth, can of diced green chilies and topped off with water so it covers chicken. Boil for about 20 minutes. When the chicken is cooked, it is so juicy. It should fall apart with a fork. Shred and place in a bowl, pour lime juice on top. I love the lime flavor so I use about 3 limes. But you can use less.



Saute onion and bell pepper in olive oil for about 5 minutes. 
Add cumin, Chipotle chili powder, salt and pepper.
Pour in chicken with lime juice. 
Lastly add pico de gallo and stir. 







Serve with a little sour cream and a little cilantro. So delish! 

Note: I have a fruit squeezer. Obsessed!!! Makes it so you get as much juice as possible from your fruit. And I love the KitchenAid Chopper. Another 2 kitchen must have tools! 




No comments:

Post a Comment