Sunday, December 1, 2013

Homemade Dog Food

My dogs are so spoiled and they are lucky I like to cook because that means they get healthy homemade meals occasionally. This is a good thing to make if you need to get rid of some produce you don't plan on eating or if your dog might be feeling a little under the weather. I made it because Tucker, my Vizsla hasn't been interested in his dog food for the past several days. He hasn't been throwing up or having #3. (Sorry about the TMI there) So, I know he's going to be ok...I just want him to get some food in him.  After a few meals of this recipe alone, I'll start to mix in his dry dog food. You can always make it just as a special treat too! 



2 lbs ground lean turkey. Cooked and drained. 
1 chopped bell pepper 
3 shredded large carrots
3-5 chopped celery
5-6 chopped apples 
2-3 cups dry oats 
Diced potato (optional) 

Mix together and serve the same size portion you normally would serve.
Keep in an air tight container in the fridge. 

NOTES
I added a Dailey dog vitamin to his breakfast for the extra vitamins and minerals. 

DO NOT feed your dog onions, garlic, grapes/raisins and chocolate. They are poisonous to your pooch! 

For Sick Pups:
Try not to feed them for 24 hours until their upset stomach settles.
Feed dogs a few tablespoons of canned pumpkin if constipated or having #3
If really sick try boiled chicken and rice. Maybe a scrambled egg. 
If you see blood in their vomit or stool see a vet ASAP! 

No comments:

Post a Comment