Thursday, March 21, 2013

Spicy Black Bean Soup

I've been on a health kick this year and I read a lot about what we should be eating more of and less of. Recently I have been reading about the benefits of black beans. They are high in fiber, so it's good for you cardiovascular health. And studies have connected black beans to help prevent certain types of cancers. I love spicy food and soup is always perfect for lunch or dinner. Since it's still a little chilly out I want to post my Spicy Black Bean Soup recipe...





1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion finely chopped
4 garlic cloves minced
3 (15oz) cans of black beans, drained
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon cumin
14 1/2 oz fat free chicken broth
10 oz canned tomatoes with green chilies
11 oz canned yellow corn
cilantro 

Saute onion and garlic with olive oil in a large stock pot for about 5 minutes
Blend onions, garlic, red pepper flakes, cumin and TWO can of drained black beans. Then pour back into stock pot.
Pour chicken broth, last can of black beans, tomatoes, and corn into stock pot. Simmer 20-25 minutes. Then serve garnishes with cilantro. 

8 servings
200 calories per serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment