Sunday, April 5, 2015

Egg-ucation and the Dirty Dozen

I am by no means a health freak hippy. I'm not perfect, I still love Diet Coke and bacon. I'll eat fast food occasionally, even the dreaded McDonald's. I consume more than 30g of sugar a day, WAY more! I know I know.... Duhhhh it's bad!!! BUT I DO want to know what the ingredients that go into my food are. I educate myself about what "organic" means, what GMO's are, how the animals where raised before I buy the meat. What are nitrites? High fructose corn syrup? I check for artificial colors and flavors. I read the labels and I pay the extra for food that is going to benefit me and not just fill me up. As a mom now, I'm responsible 100% for what my son eats. I don't want to feed him anything that could be harmful to him now or in the future.

I don't know about you, but with diseases like cancer, Alzheimer's, dementia, Parkinson's, ect...it scares me to get older and not know the cause for such horrible illnesses. Not to mention obesity in America. We allow so much more on our grocery store shelves than other countries, it's not a surprise our country is so over weight and unhealthy. But studies are being done and we know for a fact it's not good to eat added hormones, antibiotics and nitrites which can be found in our eggs, meats and poultry. We know that it's bad to eat produce that can have pesticides and are genetically modified. We also know high fructose corn syrup, artificial colors, flavors and lots of other chemicals to preserve foods are found in so many products. I stay away from "fat free" and "non fat." Because those items can have more calories than the good fats we should be eating. I choose butter over vegetable oil or canola oil because those can be used with GMO corn. Butter is more expensive but it's one of the items I feel is worth it. 

With all of this being said, read your labels and do your research. Now I want to share how you can decide what eggs to buy and which produce is most important to buy organic. 

How to read your egg carton label:

Organic: these eggs meet specific requirements verified by the USDA-accredited certified agent. Organic operations must demonstrate that they are protecting natural resources, conserving biodiversity and using only approved substances. Organic eggs come from chickens treated with animal welfare standards as free-range and are given non GMO feed. 

Free-Range: this label is regulated by the USDA and indicates that the flock was provided a shelter in a building, room or area with unlimited access to food, fresh water and continuous access to outdoors during their production cycle. The outdoor area may or may not be fenced and/or covered with netting like material. 

Cage-Free: the flock was able to freely roam in a building, room or enclosed area with unlimited access to food and fresh water during their production cycle.

Pasteurized: this label indicates eggs were heated in a sanitary facility under the supervision of the USDA. In a pasteurization, the liquid part of the eggs rapidly heated and held at a minimum required temperature for a specific amount of time. This destroys salmonella, but does not cook the eggs or affect color, flavor or nutritional value. By law all liquid eggs must be pasteurized. 

Omega-3 or DHA: these are from hens that have been fed a diet a supplemented by a source of Omega-3 fatty acids. Typically flax seed. 

No Added Hormones: a similar claim includes "Raised without Hormones". Federal regulations have never permitted hormones or steroids in poultry, pork or goat. 

I don't know about you, but the thought of eating eggs from caged, force fed chickens that never see the light of day is so sad and grosses me out enough to choose from the above options. 

All eggs need to be kept refrigerated. And use this cold water test to see if your eggs are fresh! 



As for what fruits and vegetables to spend the extra money on always buy the "Dirty Dozen" organic. 
The "Dirty Dozen" items usually have a high pesticed residue you should be careful of. The "Clean Fifteen" typically is ok for you buy conventionally. 


USDA: The U.S Department of Agriculture.

I found the info about eggs in a pamphlet at Sprouts. 

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post. Thank you so much for sharing. And in defense of McDonald's (and no, I don't work for them, LOL), they do have muffins and salads as well as their usual fare, so at least they are trying to offer healthier choices. You have a very nice blog.

    ReplyDelete